Help! I’m due in 2 weeks and cannot settle on a girls name for this baby. If it’s a boy, we’ve picked the name James Patrick (James is a name we like and Patrick is my husband’s name). We have a 2 year old named Rose Evelyn (we liked the name Rose and Evelyn was my husbands paternal grandmothers name).
To me, Rose Evelyn is the perfect name for us. Sounds great with our last name (Doherty; we pronounce it door-tee), easily recognizable but not overly common as a first time, and you cannot tell the age of the person just by seeing their name.
We had picked the name Claire Eloise out if we had another daughter, but my brother-in-law just used Claire for his daughter, so that’s off the table now.
Our two finalists are:
May Emmeline (not after any family members) or
Eloise Margaret (Eloise after my mom who’s middle name is Louise and Margaret after my mother-in-law).
My main criteria are a classic, non-trendy name that is timeless. Other names I like that have been vetoed by my husband are: Fiona, Lucy, Florence, Alice and Margot.
Any other suggestions?! Which name do you like best and why? Thank you!
The name I like best is May. Here is why:
1. It’s a name that, like Rose, is more familiar as a middle name, and a fresh surprise as a first name.
2. It’s one syllable, like Rose and the possible future brother James.
3. Like the name Rose, it’s a name that gives me a feeling of sweet simplicity.
4. It has completely different sounds than the name Rose, while matching beautifully in style.
But I also love the name Eloise. Here’s why:
1. If you later have a James, you’d have three names in which an S is pronounced like a Z. I wouldn’t put that as a huge selling point (and in fact it could be seen as a downside), but it could be fun.
2. It won’t make you feel trapped into using only one-syllable names for possible future siblings.
3. Like the name Rose, it’s a name that has some sass to it.
4. You’ve paired it with Margaret, and I like that each girl gets a family name.
My favorite of all would be to take May and pair it with a family middle name. I don’t always like alliteration, but I feel drawn to May Margaret. I like to say it. I am picturing the baby, and I would call her May Margaret.
Or I also love May Louise. My mom and I feel that Louise is the winner for Most Fun to Say middle names. Rose Evelyn and May Louise is spectacular.
Thanks so much for all the great responses! To our surprise, this baby did indeed turn out to be a girl!! We went back and forth for a few hours between Eloise and May, but decided on May after the midwife mentioned she had delivered another Eloise this week (plus the overwhelmingly positive responses on here)! As for the middle name, I decided to let my mom choose…I figured no better way to honour her than that! So May Emmeline it is! Thank you so much Swistle and followers for your help!